Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Dreaded SkinCare Talk

Alright, consistency clearly isn't one of my things yet when it comes to the blog. Working world is tough, throw in a smidge of a social life, and a daunting dissertation and I am slightly overwhelmed-but in a good way!

This post is dedicated to skin.  Weird, but go with me.  Anything I am going through in life is on display on my face. Now, I don't mean my facial expressions, though I could get better at that, I mean the state of my skin. If I am stressed say hello to a breakout, if I am emotional say hello to red splotches and if it is that time of the month, say hello to cystic acne.  It is always a battle. My mother will agree with me, I am sure.  However, my battle is greatly helped by a set routine, some awesome products, and people.

Routine: Morning

  •  Wash/exfoliate my face with my Clarisonic Mia 2 (best purchase I made in Europe) and Seacret Mud Soap. This soap is the most amazing, it is made from the mud in the Dead Sea. I promise after using it for two weeks, I saw a massive reduction in the number of stress related breakouts. These are two of my must-haves! 
  • Because I have combination skin (helloooo T-zone) I can't over moisturize otherwise I breakout, so I save that step for nighttime.  Thus I jump right to SPF because you can't ever be to careful and let's be real I am pretty pale. I use Votre Vu's Antioxidant En Garde SPF because it is SO lightweight and non-oily. Then I am out the door after a five minute makeup session.
  • Sidebar- If I wake up with super puffy eyes as has been known to happen I whip out my Hydraphase Intense for Eyes by La Roche-Posay. This stuff will do wonders for puffy eyes and you see a noticeable difference in thirty minutes. 


Routine: Night 

  • Take off my make up with Neutrogena Deep Clean Makeup Remover Wipes. Love these because they are oil free and I keep a stash of them in my car for after work too. Grease, sweat and oil are not my skin's friend.  Repeat the Clarisonic and Seacret Mud Soap routine. 
  • Then comes the moisturizing! I start with Estee Lauder Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator. It helps even out my skintone and get rid of those emotional red splotches. 
  •  I use Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion for my face.  It is just the perfect non-oily lotion for my overly oily face! 
  • I also use Normaderm Hyaluspot for cystic acne breakouts as spot treatment.  I discovered it in Europe and fell in love at first use. I would use this in the mornings too, but it does not react well when you put makeup on top, it sort-of flakes off. You can't get the Normaderm line in drugstores in Raleigh, NC but I did see them in New York City when I was there earlier this summer. (Jealous of city life-so many skincare options!!!) Thus, I order these and the La Roche-Posay products online.  

Every week, like clockwork, I go to The Skin Center of the Triangle (Shout out to Sarah Rosado!) Each week I get an acne treatment which sometimes involves chemical peels, hydrating masks, laser correction and popping of the occasional pimple . Seriously, it is covered by insurance and for me it turns into a therapy session.  I love it, and it helps keep my acne in check!

I have included all the links to my favorite products and I hope that you find your own skin care regimen that suits your skin-type. The best feeling in the world is when my face is clear enough to not wear makeup. There is nothing that can replace that confidence in my book. Let me know what your skin routine is,  and if it's as intense as mine!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment